A leader in the baking industry’s data warehouse code base reflected years of different platforms and tools that made it hard to maintain.
A leader in the baking industry’s data warehouse code base reflected years of different platforms and tools that made it hard to maintain. Their on-premises Teradata and Informatica systems were past end of life and no longer supported. They wanted to migrate to a dynamic, scalable and comprehensive cloud data warehouse built on top of the AWS cloud infrastructure.
- RCM was engaged with an internal project team for migration planning, code conversion, data migration, and data ingestion.
- Major project components
- Migrate tables from Teradata to Snowflake.
- Extract data from Teradata tables to perform an initial load to Snowflake.
- Convert scripts from Teradata to Snowflake.
- Validate data from initial and ongoing loads to Snowflake.
- Risk of failure of the Teradata and Informatica systems removed and replaced with a reliable and future proof Snowflake implementation in AWS.
- Code base modernized to remove references to older systems making it easier to understand and maintain.
- Code brought into source control to track changes over time.
- Disruption free, instant scalability.
Result: All data stored in a cloud data warehouse, allowing any number of users to query the database at the same time, without performance degradation.
Key Project Elements
Optimized IT agility, scalability, integration, performance
Single source of truth
Data Security superior to on-premises protection
Increased Operational Efficiency